- 1 cup (250 mL) short-grain brown rice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) gluten-free unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, (about 180g)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- ½ tsp vegetable oil
- 4 sheets roasted nori
- 1 piece of cucumber, halved, seeded and cut in strips
- Half avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- Cook rice according to package directions; stir in vinegar. Let it cool until it is cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In small nonstick skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat; cook chicken, turning once, until no longer pink inside, 10 to 12 minutes. Let the chicken cool down enough to handle; slice lengthwise into thin strips. Set aside.
- Place 1 nori sheet, shiny side down and long side closest, on bamboo sushi rolling mat. With damp fingers and leaving ½ inch border along each edge, gently spread about ½ cup of the rice in an even layer over nori.
- Top with ¼ each of the cucumber, chicken and avocado.
- Using mat to lift and starting at closest long edge, roll up firmly, encasing filling. Set aside, seam side down. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 3 more rolls. Using a sharp knife, trim ends evenly. Wiping knife with damp cloth between cuts, cut each roll into 8 slices.
Notes: You can make it the night before to have for lunch the next day!