Recipe: Spiced Root Vegetable Soup
- 300g lamb, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 large brown onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 3 cm pieces
- 125g red lentils
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 500ml vegetable (or beef) stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh coriander to serve
- Greek yoghurt (optional – to serve)
- 2 tbsp oil for cooking
- (Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees C). Heat oil in large frypan or casserole dish. Cook lamb for a few minutes, or until brown.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 mins (or until softened).
- Stir in spices and tomato puree, cook for one minute.
- Add the potatoes, lentils, stock and diced tomatoes, season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.
- Cover and place in pre-heated oven and cook for 45mins – 1 hour, until the lamb is tender.
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and fresh coriander.