Sugar Detox Recipe: Homemade Beef Meatballs with Whole Meal Pasta
25th August, 2016
Serves 4: Share with friends and family or portion out for other days.
- 200 grams of wholemeal pasta of choice
For the Meatballs:
- 1/2 a medium onion, finely diced or grated
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 whole egg plus 1 yolk
- 250g of lean ground lamb
- 250g of lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- 1½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups of soft whole peeled tomatoes, pureed in a food processor with all the juices
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the onion, oil, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg and eggs in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the beef and lamb and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the ingredients thoroughly with your hands.
- Form the mixture into meatballs or small logs.
- Brown the meatballs in olive oil over medium heat in batches until they have a little colour.
For the sauce
In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, sauté the onion and garlic in the fat until very soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and mix well, allowing it to toast a bit in the hot pan.
- Add the spices and stir just to combine
- Add the tomato puree and broth and simmer for 30 minutes to reduce slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Start to prepare water to cook pasta
- Place the meatballs into the simmering sauce and cook for 10-15 minutes to warm through.
- Stir in a small handful of fresh mint, either torn or thinly sliced, just before serving.