Winter Warming Recipes: Coconut Prawns & Stuffed Roasted Avocados
1st August, 2020
Prep time: 10 minutes preparation and 20 minutes cooking time
- 1 tbspn coconut oil
- 1 onion – finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves – crushed
- 5cm length fresh ginger- peeled and julienned
- 1 tbspn tomato paste
- 1 tspn medium curry powder
- 2 tomatoes – diced
- 1 x 400mls can coconut milk
- 150g baby spinach leaves
- 300g raw prawns
- ½ lime – zest and juiced
- 2 tbspn fresh coriander – chopped
- ¾ cup of quinoa
- In a large fry pan heat the oil and onions, garlic and ginger. Gently cook for about nutes until caramelised. Add the tomato paste and curry powder and cook for a further 2 minutes. Then add in the tomatoes and coconut milk and simmer for 10minutes until slightly reduced.
- In the meantime, place the quinoa in a fine strainer and rinse. Place the rinsed quinoa in pot and cover with about 1 cup of boiling water. Place the pot on the stove and simmer 12-15 minutes until cooked.
- Add the prawns to the curry and simmer for 3-4 minutes until pink and cooked through. Stir in the spinach until wilted and season with salt and pepper and the lime juice.
- Serve with the quinoa and sprinkle with coriander
2. Stuffed Roasted Avocados
Prep time: 10 minutes preparation and 15-20minutes cooking time
- 3 large avocados –medium ripeness
- 250g fetta – roughly chopped
- 10 black pitted olives - sliced
- 3 tbspn fresh parsley - chopped
- 3 tbspn of grated parmesan
- 1 lemon- juiced
- Salt & pepper
- Cut avocados lengthways and remove the seeds. Scoop out the avocado flesh and place in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Place the avocado shells in a baking tray.
- In the medium bowl with the avocados place the fetta, olives, parsley and season with salt and pepper. Mix with a fork or large spoon until mixed.
- Place one large spoonful of the avocado and fetta mixed back into the avocado shells. Once all shells are evenly filled sprinkle each with a little parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake in a moderate oven (180°) for 15 minutes, uncover the avocadoes and cook for a further 5minutes until golden brown.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the top and serve with brown rice or your favourite green salad.